Wednesday 18 January 2017

Why You Should Start a Blog


Hey guys!


I've now been blogging at Ramblings of Another Uni Student for over two years and a half, and I don't regret it at all! Blogging has been so much fun and I've ben able to attend some really amazing events, as well as meet some awesome bloggers. Although there are some days when I lack inspo and don't feel like blogging, I feel that keeping a blog has really improved my writing skills. I'd definitely recommend starting a blog, especially if you want to work in journalism, PR or design. There are so many benefits of blogging, which I will list below:


1. You'll have a place to voice your opinion - A blog is your own corner of the web, where you can post about things close to your heart. It can be heard to make people listen to you, but your blog will enable you to do exactly that. You can literally post about anything you like on your blog, and you can always make it anonymous if you want to write about something controversial or embarrassing.


2. You'll develop new skills - Keeping a blog can help you gain new skills which will help you in your current or future career. Time management, organisation, proofreading, HTML and hosting are some examples. Many bloggers, myself included, only blog part-time, so we have to juggle it with other commitments, for example school, work and university. A lot of work goes into a blog, and I can't imagine how difficult it must be for people with a full-time job.


3. You'll meet new people - Contrary to what some people believe, blogging doesn't just mean sitting at home and posting once or twice a week. You actually have to go out and interact with other people. When you've been blogging for a while, you'll have the opportunity to attend events (which may include product launches, premieres and holidays if you're lucky) and work with brands. My blog may be small, but I've had the chance to work with a few brands, for example PureChimp and Teatu. Of course, getting freebies isn't the sole purpose of blogging - it's more of a perk - and it does take a while to get there.


4. You'll become more familiar with social media - Social media has recently taken over the online world and many brands and companies are choosing to move online. As a blogger, promotion is key, since it will build up your readership. Sites like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest are essential for this. Businesses also use these platforms to bring in new customers and clients, so being a social media whizz will help you when applying for jobs.


5. You'll build up a portfolio - This can be useful when applying for jobs in journalism and design. A portfolio is used to showcase your best work, and will give employers a taste of what your writing or art skills are like. Many bloggers choose to include links to published work on other websites on their blog.


6. You'll become an expert at SEO - A.K.A. Search Engine Optimisation. SEO is so important for marketing your brand and making sure your blog comes up high in Google Search.


7. You'll become an expert about a particular topic - Though this does depend on what type of blogger you are.


8. You'll be better at photography - Any blogger knows how important photography is when maintaining a blog. It requires a high level of creativity and it takes a while to get that perfect image to use in your blog or feature on your Instagram page.


9. It's a productive hobby - and one you can definitely add to your CV. Well, maybe not for finance jobs...


10. You can even make money - thanks to AdSense, affiliate programmes and sponsored content. Your blog may also help you get other freelance work.


Why did you start your blog? What skills do you think it has given you?


Hasta luego!


Serena

13 comments:

  1. I agree with all of these! I just started blogging mid of last year and it has become a fun hobby where I can write about topics I am passionate about. Love your blog! Definitely going to give you a follow :)

    Nikki O. | herdaringthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my blog as a way to speak about what I was going through and never imagined it would take off to where it is now! So thankful I decided to share my feelings that one day xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you ! blogging is definitely worth it and it develops a lot of skills :)

    clairetalksbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on all accounts! I have learned things I had no clue about before. I didn't know what SEO was! It started as a hobby for me, but it brings a great sense of accomplishment and confidence. And yes, I love all you blogging gals!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with all of these! It's so great to have an outlet and have our own place to rant and write! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great points- blogging is a great thing love it! Leigh| Www.imsophialeigh.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really amazing point and can defo vouche for these except we're still not so great at the whole SEO things haha thanks for sharing!

    Jessica & James | foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this post I wish I had come across posts like this when I hummed and hared about setting up a blog for so long. This post will help so many people 💖

    ReplyDelete
  9. All those reasons are exactly why we started! I really love this post! You just gave the best reasons to anybody who wishes to start a blog! xx Corinne from Corinne & Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, all of the reasons you have listed is why I started to blog. It is now just part of my everyday life. I'm so glad I took the plunge. Thanks for sharing, Chloe https://pinkiebag.com #TeacupClub

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with so many of these reasons! It was such a surprise when I decided to switch careers last year to realize how many skills I'd picked up from blogging. And meeting new people has been by far my favorite part!

    xoxo
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good list to convince people. I'm always telling people they should start a blog for most of these reasons :0

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly was surprised when I first started blogging with how easy it was to make new friends. It's also so much fun and your list of reasons is spot on! (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete